Thursday, November 29, 2012

One chapter closed

Today I had my follow-up appointment with the radiologist. Yes, radiation ended about this time last year, but I still had to see him ... to see how the skin was doing, etc, etc.

Today the radiologist released me from his care. I do not have to have any more follow-ups with him.

Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful doctor. We reminisced about all that we had been through ... I was the first patient who ever had to get the expanders unfilled. Then there was we-think-you-have-a-blood-clot scare (which turned out to be nothing). Followed by, you should see a physical therapist because you're losing range of motion and maybe lymphedema is setting in (no lymphedema but I did need the pt for range of motion). All of this followed by the infection that required "emergency" surgery and the expander coming out. And oh, somewhere in the middle of this, him and another one of my doctors had a, ahem, "disagreement" and I had to get a third opinion because both doctors had different ideas and I knew both were only looking out for my best intentions but I needed a tie breaker.

Radiation was a real treat. Snort. Not his fault though - he was a good doctor, he had a calming presence and I know he was looking out for me.

But as I was getting ready to leave, he said to me "You are a wonderful woman. I wish you well in life, but I hope I never have to see you again." 

And I understood exactly what he meant because the feeling is completely mutual.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. The only time I like to see patients is if they are having babies.

    Good luck! I hope wish you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad one chapter is closed. Congrats! And yes, I know exactly what you and your doctor meant.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)