Tuesday, February 12, 2008

On Reading ...

I really do LOVE reading. Books can change you - even if it's just to give you some stress relief as you read a really funny book, ya know? I think they are wonderful.

I've read some pretty darn good ones lately that I have been wanting to talk about.

First up: Eat, Pray, Love

I really did enjoy this one quite a lot. In fact, I'd like to read it again soon. It really made me think about a lot. Now, I'm not ready to fly over to Italy. Or to get a guru. Or anything like that. But I can take more time out to get in touch with my spirituality. I can take time out to appreciate what I have. Well, I suppose if I questioned other people, I'd find a lot of people would say the same thing. But I feel that too. And I think in a way, it's time for me to do that. And this book was good motivation.
But I recommend it. And you should read it ... and if you do, let me know what you thought of it! =)


Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Another book that really made me think. Realistically, my family could not eat 100% local. But we could do a lot to make a difference. But truthfully - especially with my 5 year old's dietary restrictions - and with our financial restrictions - we really need our grocery store. But when our farmer's market opens - I will be there. Dh and I have talked about buying meat locally from places where animals are let outside every so often. If not all our meat that way, at least as much as we can buy. We've always been lucky because my parents do have a farm and we can always get what they grow when it's in season. But they don't grow everything. And so I can do more. (of course, can't we always do more?) But it really opened my eyes to some more things I could be doing. And because of my parents - I know that little farmers can ALWAYS have a few more costumers. They will appreciate people who stop and shop from them. And I know it's not always easy for them. So I will do what I can. And we have big plans this summer - I'd like to go to more farms where you can pick your own items. I'd like to buy in bulk and can more items. Yes, I want to spend as little money as possible, but I can do that wisely and still do my part to buy some things locally and maybe we'll eat meat a little less in order to get better quality meat. Now, I'm still gonna buy fruits and veggies in the winter (and I'm so thankful I can) but that doesn't mean I can't buy as much local as possible and use the grocery store when it's not available locally. And I admire Kingsolver for what she did for a year - but I'm not cut out for that life. But that doesn't mean I can't do anything. So again, a book that is moving me to action.

The Pillars of the Earth

I LOVED this book. I finished it in a few days because I couldn't put it down! I loved most of the characters (I few I didn't like so much, but they were in the book precisely for that reason!). The book ended when it was time, but I was still sad to see it end. And to think, I almost didn't read it! I only read it because I was going to Oprah on a day it was to be discussed! It just seemed to big and too daunting to read. But it wasn't. I read through it pretty quickly - the book just flowed so nicely and wonderfully.

Lean Mean Thirteen

I read this book very quickly - I read it all Friday. It is definitely a quick, easy, not a lot of thought read (which is exactly what I was looking for!) I have read all the Stephanie Plum books thus far. I did like this book, but it seemed a it like a let down compared to the others. And I have to admit - part of me is ready to see her settle down with one guy or the other. OR ditch them both and bring in a new guy (isn't that terrible of me to say LOL). And it kind of feels like that point is coming with the series. My fear is though, because the series is so popular, it will get dragged out far too long and make me not like them anymore. But hopefully that won't happen. And I will enjoy the next book very much.


Gluten-Free Girl

I just started this one yesterday. Because I am also obsessed with watching every LOST episode ever made, I haven't made it to far into it. I am reading it more to try to understand what my dd is going through. So far the book is good and it has made me appreciate a LOT that we figured out what was going on with my dd now rather than when she was in her 20's. Because I can't imagine fighting that long to try to figure things out. And can I also say that based on how the author said she felt at times, I'm also glad we have gone gluten free for her now. Because maybe she won't have so many not feeling well memories. And even though some people doubt her different food intolerances (which no one reading this does but sometimes I can just tell the way people look at us, especially when we bring food for her places, and I want to scream - you try feeding a 5 year old without using dairy or wheat or soy and tell me, is that something you think I would honestly make up?!) just knowing that we could sparing her pain and some not nice memories and trying to figure out what is wrong in the future, I am just so thankful we are where we are at today. And I can't wait to read more of this book and maybe someday, in 10 or 15 years, I will pass it on to my very own gluten free girl to read too!


That sums up recent reading around here. I just got another stack of books from the library and I'm hoping I can find time to finish knitting, keep going on Thing-a-Day, work on some invitations, watch more LOST, and read more. So basically what I'm saying is, my family might not have any clean underwear for a while LOL!

3 comments:

  1. My parents buy half a cow every fall and freeze the meat. They tell the butcher what sort of cuts they want and how much of each. Its alot of money right off the bat but then they don't have to buy any meat the whole of winter. I might look into doing something like this as well. I also plan to plant some veggies in pots around my backyard this spring. We will see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Hi Brandie! It's Becky, from NIU! Just want to say I can't wait until you get caught up on Lost. I am addicted! My husband bought me all three seasons for Christmas. We didn't start watching until half way through season two and there were nights where we would watch four episodes or an entire disc b/c we were so hooked. Jerry doesn't love it anymore, but I can't wait for Thursday nights! Let me just say I LOVE reading your blogs! It makes me feel like we are still in touch! My favorite ones are about your kids and your crafting projects and books you are currently reading. (okay, I love them all!) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Eat, Pray, Love. I read it when it first came out and before it was talked about everywhere. I had grabbed it on impulse at the library and am SO GLAD I did. I eventually ended up buying myself a copy just to have.

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)