Saturday, January 05, 2008

I cheated and paid for it ....

So today was my first big test with my no sugar (and wheat and dairy) diet out in public.

We had our final Christmas party for the year. And I have to be honest, I did pretty well I think. My cheat at the party was the mashed potatoes. I can have potatoes twice a week, and I knew these would have some milk and butter, but I thought it wouldn't be that much (and frankly, there wasn't much else to eat and I'm pretty sure I ate ALL the nuts, cucumbers, and snap peas that were placed out). Anyway, as I took my first bite, I realized cheese was also in it, but I threw caution to the wind and ate it regardless! I don't consider this a cheat so much as a splurge. I have done so well all this week, I had done so well with all the other food. It was like a nice bonus for doing so well so far.
And then, well, I left the party feeling a little blue (which I won't bore you with, but let's just say that at one point my son threw a wooden block over the second story railing and I now have an uncle with a not so lovely bump on his head - ugh). And we were given chocolate as a parting gift. And so I ripped into it. I ate about 10 malted milk balls and one piece of chocolate. And not much later, my stomach hurt so bad.
I blame the chocolate. I blame the sugar. Just as my body was getting over sugar (no headaches in two days! woo-hoo!) I go and eat sugar and chocolate. I now have a tummy ache and a bad headache.
And even if it wasn't the chocolate and I'm wrong, well, I'm not! And next time I want to suck down some sugary goodness, I will remember the not-so-goodness feeling it left me with and hopeful drop the chocolate ASAP.
But aside from the candy of this evening, my diet is moving along very well. Today I started a daily dose of acidophilus. Frankly the name scares me because all I can see in it is ACID, but I'm told it will help and be a good thing. Although it doesn't taste bad, well, it doesn't taste all that great either.

But here's to staying on track now. And here's to all the food I haven't eaten this week. And here's to the changes I am making.


On an unrelated note, grandpa is back in the hospital for a few reasons. Good thoughts and prayers sent his way would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I received the books you sent in the mail. I am really enjoying them. I already read the Devil Wears Prada and the other one about the lawyer who becomes a housekeeper. The name escapes me. I had all day off yesterday home with a sick baby so the books were a perfect way to pass the time. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)