Friday, July 29, 2011

Cherry Slushies, Inspired by Brandie

Today's post is by Eryn, whom I first met over on twitter! And is just an amazing, supportive friend.

Eryn is a homeschooling mom of two kids that are FAR better behaved than she deserves. You can find her crafting, homeschooling & cooking escapades at her blog, Hearth to Heart or you can find her tweeting snarky things she should probably regret in the morning on Twitter as @Leighbra.


Chemo takes a lot of things from you. Your energy, your hair, your appetite. Brandie told me recently that one of the few things she could keep down is Sonic's Slushies. I laughed, because immediately after a dental surgery last month, all that existed to me in the world was Sonic Drive-In. My hero husband drove two towns over to get me to one.

This is a recipe that allows you to get your slushie fix, without putting on pants. The recipe is open to interpretation; you can add sugar, change up the juices, add fresh fruit. You are the boss of this recipe.

Photobucket
Cheery Cherry Slushies:

In a blender, pour:
  • 1 can lemon-lime soda
  • 2 cups 100% cherry juice (in this case, Cherry Pomegranate)
  • HALF a packet of Cherry Kool-Aid
  • 1/3rd a cup of Splenda OR alternatively 1/4 cup of sugar. Modify to taste.


Fill blender 4/5ths of the way with ice

Blend until desired consistency

Serve IMMEDIATELY*
This recipe makes about 4 servings, because Brandie is a mama & no mama can enjoy homemade slushies with pesky kids giving her the "Where's mine?" face.
If a little vodka somehow sneaks into your recipe, who are we to judge?
Feel better, Brandie. Know that you're loved & we're all thinking about you. And Sonic. We're all thinking about you & Sonic.
*We are not responsible for any incidents of brain freeze. Slow down, silly!

5 comments:

  1. OMG, you rock!!! I am totally trying this this weekend!

    We don't have a Sonic within driving distance, that I know of, so this is just awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you guys like 'em, Deanna! My kids have been asking me to make them again, but I think the birthday cakes, pies, sticky buns, etc etc this week is enough sugar.

    Hmmm...on second thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even going to write this recipe down in my book,every time I need it, I'll just come see you, Brandie :)

    I'm so proud of you getting this far, Brandie & still being such a positive force on Twitter. You make my days better every time I get to talk to you.

    1/2 way down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Eryn, you're everyone's friend. You should package bits of you up and sell em, Rachie needs one too xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little vodka never hurts any recipe...

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)