Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cancer makes you do crazy things ...

First let me preface this with I'm generally a non-violent person. I believe an eye for eye makes the whole world blind, etc, etc. But sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures and you do things you never thought you'd do. Also, no on was injured during this.

I've often said I wish cancer was a person so I could go and beat him up. I never wanted to beat a person up before, but this time, I felt the need to just punch something. I suppose we could have gone to a gym and hit a punching bag. I didn't think of that until the other day. We have extra dishes here  I could have thrown. But we don't have a safe place to throw them what with the kids often walking around barefoot and me being paranoid that we wouldn't clean all the pieces up.

But Monday I had a doctor's appointment where I was sharing how stressed and emotional and just upset in general I was. And the doctor suggest maybe a shooting range. Keep in  mind I've never shot a gun. Never had a reason to shoot a gun. But I am lucky ... my parents own a farm and sometimes they have to take care of animals, so I called my dad and asked if I could come out and do some shooting.

My target
IMG_0775

My dad teaching me how to load a gun
IMG_0784

First shot
IMG_0791
Which by the way it's not easy to shot a gun - which isn't a bad thing I don't think.

MY best shot almost smack in the middle!
IMG_0810

IMG_0824

I shot 17 rounds. I missed quite a few of the first ones. But I think overall I didn't do so bad!

IMG_0827

Close-ups if you are interested:
IMG_0828

IMG_0829

I can't say I'll even want to pick up a gun and shot again. I can say however it was a great stress relief and did feel good to be shooing at cancer {and yes, being in a safe place where I didn't have to worry about anyone getting hurt}.

*As a side note. my scarf, which I wore precisely for this on purpose because it just has that wild factor to it, came from Tracey over at Just Another Mommy Blog!

8 comments:

  1. what a way to release the anger! great idea. love the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that you are shooting in a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're adorable! i hope that it help release some anger + frustration!

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this actually made me all misty eyed. Strangely enough... I have shot a gun ONCE in my life and hated it. PRobably because I had nothing and no one to be furious enough to shoot at. But I can totally picture you muttering "Eff you!" as you shot at that cardboard.

    Glad you chose my scarf! I was looking at you and thinking, "Hmm. That looks familiar..." :)

    Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool thing to do! And, your parents property...do you think they would mind my building a little house on it? I'll keep it small! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This. Is. Awesome. Keep rocking it girlfriend! PS anyone who comes to your house and cares whether it's messy doesn't deserve to be there. I hope they would understand you've been, uh, a little busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there is ever a time to shoot a gun, this would be it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this post, how did I not see it earlier?

    We "plink" as my husband calls it. Target shooting, whatever. I suspect that I'm concentrating SO HARD on what I'm doing that when I'm done, whatever was bothering me before is just gone.

    Plus it's a nice excuse to spend some time with your daddy. And who doesn't need that? :)

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)