Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Expanding

Our (not so) little family expanded this week. By quite a bit.

I'd like to introduce you to



Sprinkles, Orangina, Alex, Lauren, and Alberta. Our chickens.

I know, I know. I live in a small neighborhood and have slightly larger than a postage stamp of a yard. But yes, these are our chickens! They won't be living with us for very long though. Just a few weeks and then they will go to my parents' farm to live permanently {where they will be happier and my neighbors will be happier ;)} 

The chickens are technically for my 10 year old. But really, she claimed two the rest of (minus husband) all claimed one of them for ourselves! 

She will be showing at least one of them at the county fair this summer. We thought she might also be able to auction off some eggs as part of the fair, but our chickens will probably not be laying by that time - so hopefully next year! {This is just some of the stuff we are all learning now}

But our little chicks are so cute. They have completely taken our hearts! I checked on them several times last night - it's like having a little newborn back in the house, except they don't cry and wake you up! 
A few of the neighborhood kids came over to see them today. Naturally, because they are so cute and it's not everyday (at least in these parts) that your neighbor has baby chicks in their garage!

I can't wait to see how the chicks grow and change and turn into grown-up chickens! I can't wait to eat eggs that will come from our chickens! I can't wait to see all that we can learn, which judging how things are going already, is going to be a lot!

If everything goes well this summer, next year we will probably add more to the flock, but for now we are going to enjoy these cute, fluffy, little ones =) 




2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    How exciting! And fun for your children. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! They are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)