Friday, February 22, 2013

Hair

I haven't much talked about my hair lately. It's growing back, and I think rather quickly. But it's got this curl to it.

I know, I know. Some people pay good money to get curls in their hair. And I have in the past curled my hair. But with a curling iron. To get some nice soft, curls. These are crazy curls. That make my hair look kind of big (because it's short but thick!). Long story short, I mostly hate my hair.

I know, I know. It's "only" hair. But it's not, it's so much more. I think most people get it, but every so often I'll hear about how it's only hair or how someone has never been upset with their hair, even after a bad haircut. Well, I think that's awesome (no really, this is not sarcastic). I do not feel that way. Not after losing my hair during chemotherapy, not after it has come back in in this strange form that I am not used to. I am not above being upset about my hair.

A few weeks ago, I treated myself to a haircut. It is only the second cut I've had since losing my hair - the first being about a year ago.

Before I show you that, though, let's take a trip back in time!

Here is a picture from February 2011 (with my oldest daughter)
 
February 2012 (with my mom)

Before and after pictures from haircut this February
hair cut

This cut made me mostly like my hair again. Granted, it helped that the stylist straightened it for me. I haven't been able to fully recreate it at home, but I can get pretty close with a straightener. Even the husband has admitted he likes it better straight.

After getting a haircut, I got brave and decided to dye my hair too. I will probably never do this again because it didn't work the first time, so we had to redo it and it's still not as even as I would like it, but it's not as bad as it was LOL!

Untitled

Then I realized my hair was long enough to get a little braid in it. So, um, I might be braiding it a lot lately LOL!

Untitled

And yes, this excites me. Being able to do something with my hair if I want to. Also, I feel like it's an outward symbol of me getting better and feeling good. You can't look at me anymore and wonder if I'm sick. There is no outward sign. No one stares at my bald head anymore. It really is a great thing!

So it may "only" be hair, but really? It is so much more! 

2 comments:

  1. You've undergone several of what I like to call "hairadigm shifts" and I think you illustrate the point well, each 'do has its own meaning. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:16 PM

    Oh I know what you mean 'bout the curls! I sure do! My hair was wavy before....but NOW! HOLY SMOKES! :)

    ReplyDelete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)