Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Happy Halloween!

Way back in September (which feels ages ago) someone asked how others would handle Pinktober. I proudly declared that this year, I wanted October to be about Halloween and fall again.

So I set out to do that. I made really big plans. I pinned like a billion things on pinterest.

Then I was like, um, Brandie, step away from the pinterest, and just do Halloween the way you are going to do it.

So I did Halloween just the way that I was able to around these parts. We'll probably do similar next year, but maybe with some more decorations inside!

But, I loved our pumpkins on the front porch. There were also some other decorations out there that I didn't get pictures of. And we had fun posters on the front door.

The ghosts that lined our driveway were just milk jugs with cheap electric lights from the dollar store in them. We live at the end of a dead end street and we noticed last year not everyone walked all the way down the street, so I wanted to do something that was visible to trick-or-treaters as they came down the street. We still didn't get a lot of them because it was raining. Boo for rain.

There was a lot of baking this October. I got my hands on a lot of apples. So I made apple cake. And apple bread. And apple sauce. I also baked a fair amount of bread. (Side note: I made the most beautiful loaf of bread I've ever made last month. It was so lovely.) And the kitchen often smelled lovely.

We carved pumpkins - last minute, but we did it! Everyone is old enough to do their own now, which is great. I roasted the pumpkin seeds. Okay, I roasted them poorly. I'm not sure how to master it, because I swear I do it right, but they never taste great. Next year, I'll let them dry more and cook them a bit longer and try again.

The two kids who went out, had fun costumes. The girl was a sock monkey. The boy was a ninja. I had originally planned to make him a minecraft person. I even made the costume.

Trust me when I say, it was ugly. No, really, it was. And he wouldn't tell me - he said he liked it and wanted to wear it. So I explained to him that sometimes we fail. And that's okay. If we fail, we go to plan b and our plan b was to go buy a costume the day before Halloween. At which, he admitted he didn't like the costume, but didn't want to hurt my feelings, and so off to plan b and it turned out perfect!

All in all, we had a great Halloween. It was perfect for us and I think even with the not tasty pumpkin seeds and plan b with the costume, it was a great season. I can't wait to do expand it a bit next year!

Hope you all had a good Halloween season too!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)