Friday, November 27, 2015

Computer Woes

Oh, I was going to end this year's NaBloPoMo with a bang!

This was, as we headed into this week, probably my best NaBloPoMo yet - which made me feel really good and really proud about my writing and sticking to the challenge!

But. But. But.

Those darn buts.

For the second time in a very short time, a credit card of mine has been "stolen."

Not physically removed from my purse. Not taken out of the house. But the numbers stolen and used by someone else to make purchases.

Not even 6 weeks ago, this happened. We caught it on the first charge they made (thanks credit card fraud department!). This time, they made a charge a few days ago, yesterday, and then the big one today.

Sigh.

We can only imagine, that there is something on my computer - keystroke logger, something - because twice in such a short time? I mean, it could be coincidence, but I feel like probably not.

So I'm frantically removing files I want to an external hard drive. And at some point tomorrow, my husband will wipe the computer clean and we will start over as if it's day one. Because we've scanned, checked, looked for, and we can't find anything.

Maybe. Just maybe, that means nothing is there.

However, I'm not a big fan of coincidences so I'm trusting my gut which says my laptop is the heart of the problem.

To say that I'm frustrated by this would be a huge understatement.

I love technology. But I also dislike it at moments like this.

Also I wonder what problems could we solve if people who did things like this, used their powers for good and to help people.

Sigh.

Alas, all the things I wanted to say, all the things swirling around in my head just went right out of it.

So here you go. I'm off to continue moving files. And hoping this doesn't happen a third time.

2 comments:

  1. I've dealt with credit card identity theft several times. In spite of my suspicions, it has never been caused by any malware on my computer.

    1. Number stolen by an employee at the check-in desk of a hotel.

    2. Number stolen after I used a public ATM (not one connected directly to my bank's servers).
    Some public ATMs still transmit transaction data UNENCRYPTED over radiofrequency networks. Your number, password, PIN all sent in plain text in a public place. Anybody with a laptop and easily-available hardware/software can capture your data.

    3. Number stolen when I used my credit card at a gas pump where some creep had added a skimmer to the card port.

    It's a dangerous world out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Links stripped from my first comment:
      Radiofrequency ID theft
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_identity_theft

      ATM or gas pump skimmers
      http://krebsonsecurity.com/all-about-skimmers/

      Delete

Seeing your comments makes me smile! Thank you so much =)